Tuesday, June 24, 2008

On Spiritual Solitude

Since I'm apparently using my blog to vent lately, and because I'm presently thinking about Kara's "church family" comment on her blog, and Kelly's "thought you found a church" comment on my blog, I guess I'm going to talk a bit about our present situation. Jen and I have been living in Douglas for very nearly two years now (our two-year anniversary is July 13). In that time I have established one relationship that I would call a good Christian friendship. Just the one. Unfortunately, he's in the Marine reserves, and he got deployed to Djibouti last winter. So he's gone. You might be saying to yourself, "Wow. One Christian friendship in two years? What's Josh doing wrong?" God knows I've asked myself that question more times than is probably healthy. But consider our circumstances out here. We visited the Baptist churches in Douglas and didn't find a single regular attender of any of them that was our age. Plus, the preaching was WEAK. So we moved on to Sierra Vista. We reasoned that churches in a bigger city would be bound to have people our age. And we were right; we found some people our age at First Baptist in Sierra Vista. We even started attending the age-appropriate Sunday school class in order to get to know those long-sought-for people. And they more or less ignored us. One Sunday I even made an emotional little speech about how Christians needed to stop ignoring the people around them, and everyone wholeheartedly agreed. But nothing changed. We eventually stopped going there (between the unfriendliness and the fluff sermons every week, and the fact that we had to drive an hour to get there, there wasn't much to keep us there), and we didn't hear a peep from any of those people. The only e-mails we got from any of them were mass mailings. When I e-mailed them to take us off their mailing list, they finally said, "Yeah, we noticed you stopped coming. What happened?" Keep in mind that this was MONTHS after we stopped going there. So we moved on to First Baptist in Bisbee. It was a bigger church, by southern Arizona standards (maybe 80 people each week), but again there was no one our age. Not even close. A few older people were nice enough to introduce themselves, and every so often would come over and say hi, but it never really went much past that point (though I will say that the pastor and his wife are very nice people). So we found ourselves in the sorry state I described in a comment on my last post: we'd come in, sit down, get ignored, listen to the sermon, and leave. The one big advantage this church had was that the sermons were actually GOOD. But we can sit at home on Sunday mornings and listen to good sermons on the radio. What we need is a church family. We need to feel like we belong somewhere. We tried Valley Bible Church this past Sunday; it's basically our last hope. There aren't really any other church options for us if this one doesn't work out, unless we want to drive all the way to Lordsburg, NM and look there. Valley's a pretty popular church for New Tribes people, but it's also a very small church, and there was only one couple there around our age. We've met the couple once before, and they're nice enough. But they're also missionaries in training, which means they're going to be gone soon. And we'll be back in that same lonely church boat.

So if a guy can't find a friend at church, where else can he look? Campus is full of young people. But a lot of them are fresh out of high school, and I'm going on 28, so our perspectives just aren't the same. Plus, the aviation department is sort of separate from the rest of the school, so the only other students I ever meet are other aviation students. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but this is also a very small department. I know for a fact that the only other Christians here are a 19-year-old girl (not the best person with whom to strike up a friendship) and a twenty-something guy with whom I've unsuccessfully tried to form a friendship.

What this all boils down to is that I'm feeling pretty lonely lately. Like I mentioned in my last post, if I have something I want to talk about with a friend, I'm out of luck. I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate Jen. I appreciate her very much. I wouldn't have been able to last this long out here without her. But a man needs other men to talk with, just like a woman needs other women. I think that really had a lot to do with how I was feeling when I wrote my last post. I'm lonely, and that feeling is aggravated by our utter lack of a church family, of a place where I feel like I belong. Where I feel welcome. Or wanted. I guess all I can really do is look forward to finishing the AMT program 16 months from now, because we'll be able to move on to the next place God has for us. Maybe I'll find a friend there.

7 comments:

Amanda Irene said...

I can just see it now when you walked in the door of the church that only has one other couple your age they jumped for joy!

It can be really hard to find a family. It also takes time to develope those relationships.

Good luck hang in there. Keep praying.

Are there any married your age groups that meet in the evenings once a week? Maybe not even at a church. getting out and meeting people and sharing your faith is always good. Maybe the yellow pages is a good place to start. God doesn't want you to be an orphan.

Anonymous said...

Josh
Still thinking and praying for you love your father in law Terry

Kara said...

Yeah, we have MOPS (Mothers of preschoolers) and lots of mommy things like that, but what's a guy supposed to do? We'll pray too that you plug right in to this new church and meet some Christian guys.

Anonymous said...

I completely understand your situation, I moved three years ago, and I went to a church that was close 9 miles, the people were friendly enough, but the priest barely could speak English, and I had a hard time understanding him, and the singing and music was awful, and I left unfulfilled. I then went to another church, 30 miles away, and once again I couldn't understand the priest, so I am on my third church, the people are not too friendly, but the homilies are pretty good and the music is excellent. Bad part is the church is 32 miles one way, and with the price of gas it is hard to go every week. Hang in there, I prayed a lot, I just found that I was looking for three things, and I have gotten two out of the three, so I have to be satisfied.

Amanda Irene said...

What about just going to a praise night. Or a gathering of christians at a concert and asking around.

You always have us. :)

Josh said...

Amanda,
Your comments have me thinking I maybe didn't explain our situation very well. Douglas is 95% Mexican, which means it's maybe 80% non-English speaking. And since our move, the next nearest town is about an hour away. There simply are no concerts or praise nights or couples groups to go to. I do appreciate your suggestions, though. But I think our situation is just going to have to be our situation for 15 more months, and then we can move (probably) and find ourselves a new situation.

Amanda Irene said...

OH, the language thing is TERRIBLE!! You never know how or when God will hook up up!! Hang in there!