Saturday, September 23, 2006

SOLO!!!!!!!!!!




I finally did it!!! After several days of frustration and impatience, I finally made my first solo flight! Joshua and I went out and did 2 takeoffs and landings so he could make sure I knew what I was doing. Then, as I made my second landing, Joshua said, "This is going to be full-stop." That means that instead of adding power and taking off again, you taxi the plane off the runway. For just a second, I thought I'd done something wrong and he was ending my flying for the day. Then I realized he intended to get out of the plane. Such an unspeakably surreal moment, I can't even tell you. Wow. I went up on my own, did 3 takeoffs and landings, and taxied back to the ramp, all the while trying not to let my heart jump out of my chest. What made it all even better was the fact that Jenny got to be here to witness it all.

So I'm over the hump, in a sense. I have to do two more solos just like today, with Joshua riding along for the first part, then I'll be able to take a plane and head out to the practice area and, in essence, do what I want... as long as it's legal. All the glory and praise belongs to God, and Him alone. Thank you, Lord. This calling is more than I could have imagined.

The pictures are of me flying the plane after Joshua bailed out. Enjoy!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Josh!!!

We are so proud of you- knew you could do it. Enjoy the friendly skies.

Barb & Matt

Josh said...

I'm not completely sure I'd call the skies here "friendly", but I really appreciate the word of congratulations. Thank you. It's an awesome thing to have people proud of me.

Josh

Kelly Glupker said...

I am sure you feel a great sense of accomplishment - and you should! I am glad Jenny got to see it all.

Josh said...

I'm glad she got to see it, too. Makes it seem like there was a reason for the delay, after all.

Jenny LaBo said...

God's timing is always better then ours!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

Now you are the flymaster!

The Aviator extrordinaire!!

The Sultan of The Skies!!!

I'm proud of you. Way to make your dream come true. Praise God for His indescribable gift!

Now you'll need to log more solo air time, right? How does that happen?

Rick

Josh said...

Nah, I'm not really any of those things, though I do appreciate the encouragement. All I am is a guy trying hard to be obedient to God's will. All the praise and glory are His, and His alone. As for logging solo time, it's about as easy as it sounds. Unless I have some other requirements to meet, when I show up for my daily lesson my instructor and I spend a minute talking about what I want to work on, then I take a plane and go out to the practice area by myself to work on maneuvers and such. When I get back, we talk about how I did. It's just that simple!

Josh

Kelly Glupker said...

Josh,
Do you have any actual class time where you have to listen to lectures, take notes, and get graded on tests and quizzes? How long is the program before you actually get your pilot license?

Josh said...

Yup! My 6:45am flying lesson counts as a class, but then I also have a classroom class at 3:15, where I listen to lectures and take notes and all that.

I'll have my private pilot certificate by Christmas, most likely. Then, next semester, I'll be working on my instrument rating. Then, pretty much all next year, I'll be working on my commercial pilot certificate. Then I'll be done with the pilot program and will start working on the mechanic program.

Anonymous said...

Josh,
Happy for you - how were the nerves? I go deaf when I get up in a small airplane - can't hear a thing???? Obviously that doesn't happen to you!!
Congratulations, Josh!

Jenny LaBo said...

Husband, I think it is wonderful that you did your solo but I think it is time to update.
Love you!

Josh said...

In response to Cathy, the nerves were okay. Not near as bad as past instructors have led me to believe. And, as for hearing ability, I wear a passive noise reduction headset when I fly, both so I don't go deaf permanently, and so it's easier to communicate on the radios.

In response to Jenny... we'll get there.