Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Last Laugh

On my post about building my hammer, Chris K asked why the instructors didn't bother to take us through the tools before giving us what, at the time and under the circumstances, was a fairly monumental task. I had a pretty good post all typed out in answer to this question. In fact, I'm currently using the "Edit" feature, so it's possible some of you will read that post before I get this one up in its place. The problem with that post was that it was catty and far from what I would consider Christlike. It's kind of been a long time since I've felt particularly Christlike, and I'm very tired of being disappointed in me. So here's my new answer to Chris's question:

The "normal" Phase 1 instructor was fired a semester or two ago. Since my class is the first starting class they've had in a couple semesters, this is the first time the instructors have had to address the fact that they had no one to teach the phase. So the three remaining instructors divided up the phase, and each of the three agreed to teach various subjects. However, only one of the 3 has ever taught any part of Phase 1 before, and that was 15 years ago. So they're all a little slow in getting up to speed with their new teaching responsibilities. I remain optimistic that when we start Phase 2 next Monday, things will run smoother, since Phase 2 is familiar terrain for these guys. I'm hopeful that the worst is behind us.

1 comments:

chris k said...

Oh Josh, I'm so sorry that I even asked the question. I wonder though if your response was out of frustration and actually not so much being catty. Frustration is a natural response for any student who is working extremely hard and still struggling with concepts, at times. Keep plugging away!