Monday, April 20, 2009

The Deeply Unfortunate Return of "Angry Josh"

Where on God's green earth have all the Christian guys in the 25-35 demographic gone? Thanks to Facebook, I recently re-befriended a guy who was instrumental in my coming to faith in Christ Jesus. I've had a couple really great online conversations with this guy, and I can't help but look at our reacquaintance as a gift from God. But, at the same time, it's given me a much better appreciation for what I DON'T have, and haven't had for a very long time. Apart from my conversations with Facebook guy, I haven't had a truly good talk with another Christ-following guy my age in so long a time, I can't remember the last one. Certainly, I've interacted with other Christian guys in the not-so-distant past, but a conversation that actually means something with a guy who shares the frame of reference of my demographic, has become a sort of unicorn in my life: I'm always trying to catch one, but I don't even really know where to start looking anymore. I have no Christian peers here. When I go to church, I'm surrounded by Christians, some younger than me, some older, but there is a noticeable hole in the age range, and I'm smack in the middle of it. As far as I know, I am the only Christian guy, of ANY age, in the entirety of the Cochise College aviation program, so no schoolyard chums are going to meet that need in my life. So where the heck else do you look for a "bosom friend" (huh, I guess I DID get something out of watching Anne of Green Gables with Jen)? I know I've bemoaned this particular disappointment in my life before, probably often, but it's an unmet need that continues to cause an ache right in the center of me.

Along those lines, I have another question for the Christ-ones who occasionally pop by: Do you ever get tired, spiritually? I was outside a little while ago, still working on ripping out that shrub. I spent a couple hours on it, made good progress, but just got to a point where my weary body was done. My motivation dribbled out of me like the lifeblood from a gutshot bandito, and I found myself just sitting in the dirt with no more will to labor. Then I realized that's how I'm feeling spiritually lately. In my heart, I think I've been muttering, "Okay, God. I'm done. I've got nothing left. I'm tired of being 'nice' to people who could really benefit from a good verbal evisceration or a solid backhand. I'm so weary of slogging my way through "the aviation maintenance program that common sense, competence, and teaching ability forgot." I'm sick of living in America's armpit, far enough away from roots that my family treats me like a casual acquaintance instead of a son and brother, and no one here knows me. I've worked hard enough for one lifetime; I've jumped through all the hoops you've put in front of me. Just give me a bloody rest already." Does anyone else ever get to feeling like this? I'd ask some of my face-to-face Christian friends, but...

2 comments:

Kara said...

The first thing that came to my mind was what Pastor Mark preached about Sunday. Hebrews chapter 12 talks about endurance and running the race.

7Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

And to answer your question, of course I feel this way sometimes, too. All I ever wanted was to be a mom. And yet the five little blessings that God has given me want to make me head for the hills and never come back some days. Seriously.

Jenny LaBo said...

Kara you are so awesome. That is exactly the thing we needed to hear. :)