Saturday, March 17, 2007

Airshow!!!

Today is the first ever Border to Border Airshow at Douglas Municipal Airport in town! I'm very excited about it. All the proceeds go to the Cochise College Aviation Dept. Admission is free, but there's a carnival and food and stuff that costs money. I'm hoping for a really good turnout, not because of the proceeds going to my program, but because I'm hoping that a good turnout will mean another airshow in Douglas next year. There are 2 good reasons why the numbers today might be a little low. First, there's also an airshow at Davis Monthan in Tucson. It's a military airshow, so they've got bigger, louder planes (I think the Blue Angels are supposed to be there, but don't quote me). And second, Spring Break was this past week, and it seems like many of the Cochise students haven't gotten back into town yet. Reckon all we can do is wait and see.

Oh, and Cochise College Aviation Dept has a booth and a plane at the airshow today, and Sally (the glue that holds the department together) said I could probably go hang out in the booth for a while, since it would be good to have prospective students talk to actual students. Sweet!

Here's some stuff I couldn't quite manage to fit into the body of the post: There might be carne asada for sale at the airshow, and we're really excited about that, too. We like carne asada. Our new friends from Sierra Vista, Chris and Jennifer, are coming out to see the airshow with us. The Douglas Municipal Airport was the first international airport in the United States, and it was dedicated by Eleanor Roosevelt and Amelia Earhart. I think that's all.

11 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

It was dedicated by Amelia Earhart or to her? Her story fascinates me!

Josh said...

It was dedicated BY Amelia Earhart.

Since you like her story, here's a tidbit you may or may not know. Earhart couldn't do her own navigating. She didn't know how, I guess, so she had an alcoholic navigator who flew with her and did her navigating. There's speculation that he's the reason she went missing when she did.

Kelly Glupker said...

Really?!? I have never heard that. When she went missing she was flying alone though, right? How did she navigate on her own? Is THAT why she is missing???

Josh said...

No, ma'am. I believe her navigator was with her on her ill-fated trip.

Anonymous said...

What interesting historical tidbits! Whenever I hear from Kelly or Josh it makes me want to read more. Kara

Jenny LaBo said...

Kara,
I agree. Usually I just ask Josh to tell me a story. I haven't tried that with Kelly yet.

Kelly Glupker said...

Jenny,
I can tell you all kinds of stories. If you ever have trouble going to sleep, you just give me a call.

Anonymous said...

Be warned Kelly we are 3 hours behind you :)

Kelly Glupker said...

I thought of that after I left my comment. You can call me if you are having trouble taking a nap. :)

Chris said...

Just for the record...Kelly CAN TALK!!!

Jenny LaBo said...

Chris dear Chris.
I remember many an evening or afternoon for that matter that you could chat it up with the best of them.