Thursday, March 15, 2007

Tuesday morning I flew to Ryan Field, just on the other side of Tucson's airspace. It's a trip I'd been dreading, because my training has left me uncomfortable (and, in my opinion, unprepared) to interact with Air Traffic Control. It was a required cross-country, though, so I was going to have to do it sooner or later. I decided it may as well be sooner so I could stop worrying about it. It went pretty poorly, and I wound up getting scolded by both the approach controller at Tucson and the tower controller at Ryan. I do feel like I learned a lot on the trip, though, so it had value. On the downside, I really took a hit to my confidence. I went out and did some touch-and-go's yesterday morning, and I was a mess. My final approach each time around the pattern was pretty awful, and I kept overcorrecting on the flare. Not a good time. I was supposed to fly another cross-country this morning, but after the time at Ryan and my troubles yesterday, I decided to just call it a week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

plus you start your new job on Monday!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Josh, nobody's perfect when learning.
Hope your new job goes well.
The Schukies

Josh said...

Oh, yeah. My job. Maybe I'll post a quick note about that.