Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Scoop on Idaho

There are lots of questions regarding my new job and our upcoming move to Idaho. I'm going to attempt to answer as many of those questions as I can, all in one fell swoop. Here goes...

I first read about the job in the Air Jobs Digest, which is this periodical consisting of nothing but aviation-related classified ads. The ad was maybe 2 lines long, and didn't really say much, but I was e-mailing my resume to other places, so I figured I'd toss out a line and see if anyone bit. The next day I got a reply from the owner of the business in question, telling me to feel free to call him about the position. I called him the day after that, and we talked for maybe 20 minutes. His name is Kevin; he owns an FBO that does maintenance on General Aviation aircraft, at the airport in Burley, Idaho, which is about 45 minutes east of Twin Falls. His FBO maintains all the aircraft for the Civil Air Patrol in Idaho and Utah, plus the firefighting aircraft for Idaho. He keeps a staff of maybe 3 mechanics, in addition to himself, and was looking to fill his #3 spot. He thought I sounded like a good guy, but really wanted to meet me. I closed my flight account at the college, which gave us a little extra money, and I flew out this past weekend. I met Kevin at his shop on Saturday, and we talked for about 2 and a half hours. He offered me the position, which I gladly accepted.

I finish school on September 24, and Kevin is expecting me at work on September 28. I'll be working Monday through Friday, 8 - 5, with paid holidays. There will be some overtime, because the shop is too busy to not have overtime, but Kevin tries to keep it to a minimum. I'm still working on getting in touch with an apartment complex and a lady who owns 10 rental properties in the Burley area, so I can figure out where we're going to live. Burley is roughly 3 hours away from Nampa, ID, where Mission Aviation Fellowship is headquartered. MAF, as you'll recall, is the missions organization Jen and I want to go through when we're finally ready for the mission field. Additionally, Burley is maybe a 17-hour drive from Douglas; we'll probably be renting a U-Haul truck to move our stuff from here to there.I think that just about covers it. Feel free to let me know if there are any questions I haven't answered.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Thanks for the update! We've been praying for you all daily :) God is good isn't He??

Josh said...

Yeah, He is. I'm at a point in my life where it's shockingly easy to see Him at work. It's a little bit scary.