Sunday, August 02, 2009

Why don't I blog more?

That's a pretty fair question. After all, it's not like it takes any kind of actual effort to hammer out a blog post. So what's my deal? Well, I'm going to level with you. A curious thing happens to me, when it comes to blogs. I'll start a blog and have no problem at all pounding out posts fairly frequently (I am, for instance, a five-time veteran of Livejournal; I kid you not. Most of those have been deleted over the course of time, however, so don't bother searching for them). But after I've gotten my blog well-established, I start to get intimidated by the thought of writing new posts. I'll log in and go to type a post, and I just go totally blank. Or else I'll start typing, make it halfway through a post, decide what I've just written is stupid, and delete it all. Eventually, it gets so bad that I come to dread the sight of the big white box on my screen, just waiting for me to fill it up with my words. I really and truly don't know what the problem is. Performance anxiety maybe? Can't say for sure. But, whatever the reason may be, that's why I update my blog so infrequently. The only bright side, I guess, is that just about all the people who used to read my blog with any kind of regularity, have given up checking for updates, so even if I do write the most idiotic post in the world, the only people who will read it are me and whoever might accidentally stumble across this blog while Googling random words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only update once every couple of months or so also, but I do check your blog regularly to see what's going on in your life :)

~'Lex

Josh said...

Thanks, Lex. I occasionally pop by LJ just to check yours, too.