Thursday, August 03, 2006

Lesson 4: The one where nothing really went right.

Today was my fourth flight lesson here at Cochise. It was one of those lessons where I started out feeling really scattered and disorganized, and it just never got better. It all started when I went to grab "my" plane (Cherokee 6121H), and someone had already taken it. I call 6121H my plane because I've used it every day this week. In fact, all 4 of the VFR Cherokees were already in use, and there was only one IFR Cherokee left (the school has 3). So I wound up flying Cherokee 39954 today. Being an IFR plane, it has slightly different equipment than the VFRs, and some of the equipment I'm used to wasn't in the place I'm used to finding it. On top of that, I kept forgetting things on my preflight inspection, despite the fact that I have a fairly detailed printed checklist to follow. And then the plane had a low tire, so I had to use some of my training time learning where to get an air compressor and how to fill an airplane tire.

After we (my instructor, my passenger, and I) finally got in the plane and I got us off the ground, I had the hardest time just trying to get the plane to do what I wanted it to do. Straight climbs were like scaling Everest without oxygen. Simple banks were as elusive as bigfoot. Attempting slow flight may as well have been attempting to fly by flapping my arms. What probably made it all worse was the fact that during yesterday's lesson I felt like I had no problem rising to whatever challenge my instructor placed before me. Today I may as well have been trying to fly with my eyes closed. Josh (my instructor) assured me in my post-flight briefing, though, that there's alot to be learned in days like today. So I guess it wasn't a total loss.

On the other hand, I had my first test in ground training this afternoon. It took me 11 minutes. Seriously. Twenty-three multiple choice questions, and I was out the door. Even better, the instructor who graded my test lives downstairs from me, and I caught him as he was coming home to see what I'd gotten. 100%. Sweet! Never mind the fact that I already took this class 3 years ago; I really needed a little morale boost after this morning's flying, and I'll take what I can get.

Pics are coming soon!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Josh on the 100%! I'm glad you have this site and are sharing what you are learning. Sounds like you learned a lot that day. It's always when something goes not quite the way you want it, that you learn the most. Isn't life grand...
Love your writing style.
Keep updating and put in pics soon!
Miss ya!
Babs

Josh said...

Thanks, Barb. I'm glad you like my writing style.

Enjoy!
Josh