Thursday, August 24, 2006

The week's lessons

Shame on me. I haven't been posting regular updates/summaries of my lessons. Frankly, there hasn't really been a whole lot to share. I've been flying the plane more smoothly, holding headings, altitudes and airspeeds much better than I was. And I've started doing my own landings. In fact, that's all we did yesterday. The problem is that I can't seem to grasp the concept of the flare. The flare is when you're just about touched down on the runway, so you slowly and smoothly pitch up to sink slowly and touch down gently. I stink at the flare. I either don't flare and land hard and flat, or I over-flare and drop like a rock. There's nothing wrong with a little over-flare, per se, but it's not good form and Joshua is unwilling to let me learn to be sloppy. So I'm stuck on a flare plateau; I'm not improving, but I'm not getting any worse, either.

On the plus side, my traffic pattern is more or less good, and Joshua told me my S-turns today were looking better than they have been in the past. So there's some progress being made, just not with the flare.

0 comments: