Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Verge

Erin and I scheduled my cross-country stage check this morning. I'll be doing at least the oral portion of it, and possibly also the practical, on Tuesday afternoon. Belinda was going to try to find room in her schedule for it on Monday, but I asked for Tuesday. I don't know why, but I really want to do this stage check on my birthday (biological, not spiritual). I suppose if I pass, it'll be a huge birthday present to myself. If I fail it... well, I'm going to focus on not failing it. To that end, Erin is going to try to find time in her schedule for us to do an afternoon flight sometime this weekend, since I've never really flown in the afternoon and I could use the practice before the stage check. We're also going to do some night local at 6pm on Sunday.

Assuming I pass the stage check on Tuesday, I'll be preparing for my long solo X-C. And when I say long, I mean long, no pun involved at all. It's a flight from the college to Silver City, NM, to Safford, to Willcox, to Sierra Vista, back to the college. The minimum time requirement on it is 4 hours. I've never spent that much time in a single-prop plane before. Should be grueling!

After that X-C, I'll have a night X-C to Tucson and a couple hours of review with Erin, then the check ride for my private pilot certificate. I'm actually on the verge of doing this thing. Wow. How else can a person possibly describe the feeling of drawing one step closer to their very God-given destiny? Just wow. Just wow.

2 comments:

Jenny LaBo said...

And THEN you can take your wife for a ride....and no practicing emergency landings.

Josh said...

Funny you should mention that. Erin cut my engine on me in the pattern this morning, and I did an excellent "emergency" landing. You'd have been proud.

I promise I won't do anything scary on your first ride.