Friday, April 27, 2007

Tombstone

It's taken me a bit longer than expected to get around to this, but I'm finally going to talk about and post pics of our visit to Tombstone.


This is Big Nose Kate's Saloon, where we ate lunch. It's named after Big Nose Kate, who was, of course, Doc Holliday's lady friend. It was a pretty cool place. They had employees dressed in Old West costumes, which was cool and not-so-cool at the same time. Cool, because it's always cool to see people dressed in Old West clothes. Not-so-cool, because the waitresses were all dressed like, well, saloon girls, so there was a lot of cleavage all over the place.

This is my dad, not looking like he's having much fun at the Saloon. I decided I needed to help him have more fun...


...So I asked this guy to hold him at gunpoint. Whoopee!!!

I found this picture funny. You've got the stage coach and the horses and the cowboy up top. It's all very Western-ish... except that the cowboy is chatting on his cell phone.

This is Jenny showing off her herculean strength by taking my parents for a carriage ride. You'll notice my mom is whipping Jenny with the reins, apparently because the poor girl just isn't generating the speed my mom was desiring. My mom's a pretty ruthless lady.
This is a picture I took at the "Shootout at the O.K. Corral" reenactment. It would be cruel of me if I didn't give you a word of warning regarding this reenactment. First, they make you pay to see it. Then they only do it once a day, so you have to hang out all day to see it if you get there too soon (that's what we did). Then they finally let you in, and you sit down with high hopes, and they try their level best to crush your hopes into oblivion. It's an awful show. Just awful. They almost make it into a poorly-scripted, poorly-acted comedy. As Jenny has said more than once, "Just rent the movie Tombstone, instead." Also, you'll notice that they misspelled "photographer" in the sign on the green building. Lame.

At the end of our day in Tombstone (it really was the end of the day; we spent 7 hours there), we went to Boothill.

This is where the "bad guys" from the O.K. Corral were buried. Most of the tombstones and other grave markers have been replaced by metal ones, but as far as I know they were put in all the original locations. This is, to the best of my knowledge, the very spot where these guys were actually buried. What's interesting is the huge number of "Unknown" grave markers throughout the cemetery. I'm guessing it's either because the graves were never marked, or because the original markers were so worn that the restorers couldn't read them.

And that's the end of our trip to Tombstone. Hope you enjoyed it!

4 comments:

Kara said...

Even as lame as you made it sound, it looks like you had a good time there! I'm glad you got to go, I've always been curious about the place.

Pam said...

It looks like you had fun! I like all that lame stuff :) I drove through through Tombstone but never got to do all the tourist stuff. Thanks for the pics so I know what it was like.

Kelly Glupker said...

Glad you had a good time. We still have done any tourist-y stuff in our neck of the woods.

Kelly Glupker said...

I meant "haven't" done