Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Monkey Wrench

The other day I posted a sort of break-down of my plan for the remainder of my education here in Arizona. Naturally, one day after I wrote the post my circumstances changed, forcing me to reevaluate that plan. For me to obtain each of my pilot certificates and ratings, I have to take a ground training class as well as go through the necessary flight training. I was supposed to take flight instructor ground training last semester, but it was cancelled due to lack of interest (my interest unfortunately wasn't sufficient to keep the class on the fall schedule). I was assured before Christmas break, though, that ground training would definitely happen this spring. I would finish ground training this spring and work on the flight training this fall, thus enabling me to begin my maintenance training next spring. Here's the wrinkle in that plan: flight instructor ground training just got cancelled again because, just like last semester, I was the only person who registered for it. So now I have a decision to pray about and eventually make. I can either take flight instructor ground training next semester (because, once again, I've been assured they'll definitely run it next semester) along with the requisite flight training. The other option is to just forget about my flight instructor certificate for now, finish instrument and commercial this semester, and start on maintenance next semester, with the possibility of picking up my instructor cert when I'm done becoming a mechanic. The bottom line is that MAF only requires me to have my instrument and commercial. They recommend the flight instructor certificate, but they don't require it. I know which way I'd like to go with this decision, but I don't want to be hasty in making it. I want to really take some time to seek God's will. My plans just don't ever seem to work, and His always do. Anyway, that's the newest update from this tired, dusty corner of the world.

4 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

If I understand all this, it will be about 2 more years to complete your education in Arizona. Is that right? After that, does MAF require any Bible training?

Josh said...

Two years if I forget about the instructor cert. At least 2.5 years if I still go for it.

And yes, MAF requires 12 credits of Bible for both me and Jen. I'm thinking online classes while I'm working maintenance to pay off debt. If you're trying to figure out how much longer before we're on the mission field, think somewhere along the lines of 5-10 more years... at least.

Jenny LaBo said...

I hope they sell walkers in Africa or wherever GOD sends us :) Gereatrics (sp) For Jesus.

Josh said...

The way I'm figuring it, if it takes us our entire lives to prepare for the mission field, then we've still spent our lives doing what God wants us to, even if it doesn't culminate in some long, glorious missionary career.