Friday, February 15, 2008

Great Expectations?

I discovered, yesterday, that Jen and I are now mentioned on the missionaries page of Immanuel's website, along with a "click here for more info" link that delivers the curious to this blog. Now, I have no problem at all with how that's set up, but it's gotten me really thinking about my blog. I recently had a conversation with our Bisbee pastor, in part about people's expectations (and the expectations I perceive people having) of Jen and me as missionaries in training. And now on our home church's missionary page, there's a link to my blog intended for people to get to know more about us and what we're doing. Up til now, I haven't intended my blog to be the sort of online prayer letter that so many missionaries' blogs and websites wind up being. But is that what it should be? Until now, this blog has just been me (infrequently) posting thoughts or rants or play-by-plays of important events or (even more infrequently) photos. But now it feels like it should be something more than that; not necessarily more formal, but perhaps more formatted, if that makes any sort of sense at all. All this time, I've sort of been operating under the assumption that the only people who come here and read stuff are people who already know who we are and what we're doing and just want my personal take on whatever Jen's already posted about (she's way better at blogging than I am). That's sort of been the purpose of all this. But now it's been given sort of a different purpose, and I'm trying to figure out exactly what effect that new purpose should have on az2maf. What do you guys think? Despite the flavor of the comments on my last couple posts, this isn't just some trick to get more people to comment on my blog. I really want your thoughts, opinions, etc.

4 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

I've been thinking about your question. If it were me, I wouldn't really want people directed to my blog. Obviously there is nothing to hide since you are on the world wide web. However, my blog is more personal - geared toward friends and family, not strangers checking out my ministry. I think that's what websites are for (like the site the Lenz's have), not blogs. I'm having a hard time putting into words what I think about this situaiton.

Josh said...

I understand what you're saying, and a part of me agrees with you wholeheartedly. But I don't know nearly enough to make a webpage, so the blog is pretty much as good as it gets for me. And I do want people to be able to click on a link to learn more about us. The idea I've been toying with for the past day or so, is to use this blog sort of as our ministry page, and to maybe go back to posting personal stuff on my Livejournal, instead. I'm still weighing options and all that jazz.

Kelly Glupker said...

You could always have two blogs.

Josh said...

Now THAT is a fantastic idea! And it's done.